Wednesday, December 7, 2011

I must..............



I was born in 1937.  I was only a child, in WWII, but I have my memories.  
I have to remember.
Because when we (olden ones) have passed...
Who will remember?
...............................................................

ADDITION: 

My husband was 8 years old, and family was at his Grandparent's house, for Christmas.  His Mother, Brother and he.  His Father would come later.

He was sitting at the kitchen table, making a model, and the radio was on.  And he heard the announcement.  Being only 8, he didn't fully understand it, but just knew IT WAS AWFUL.  He ran through the house, telling this.  Because he was a darling Grandson, his Grandmother came and listened, not really thinking it was real. 

Then they listened.  And then they knew, it was real. 
.
.
.

13 comments:

The Old Parsonage said...

I'm hoping that EVERYONE will always remember and honor those that gave their all.

This gave me goose bumps!

Leann

Hootin Anni said...

Everyone, lost souls, those we lose...they all have a right to be heard and remembered. My husband was born a year after you. And his passion is the history of Pearl Harbor.

I've been meaning to answer your question about the book I bought in New Orleans [about the Baroness who was shot by her father in law four times and survived it--] The name if the book is Intimate Enemies. I have only skimmed through viewing the photos and read the dust jacket...it seems to be worth the money spent.]

Way Down Yonder in New Orleans is my post for the day.

Hope you have a lovely Wednesday.

Vee said...

I've been reading accounts of the event this morning. John was born that year so has no memories of his own. What I remember from my family's stories of the day is how everyone knew that it meant war, much as we all knew it meant war in 2001. We live in similar times don't we? It behooves us all never to forget.

Hootin Anni said...

Great addition.

I was born after Pearl Harbor attack, but I have been to the USS Arizona Memorial and became quite humbled seeing the active oil slick from the watery grave--still today.

Vee said...

(John wishes to inform me and you that he was not born in 1941. He was not even a gleam in his papa's eye. He would not be born until three years later. You'd think I could keep this straight. =)

I can see an eight-year-old trying to get his family's attention and a grandmother being the one to truly listen. That's a poignant memory in and of itself making the entire thing rather bittersweet.

Linda said...

Louis Dean was born in 1936. He has been watching tv and talking about his parents and memories. A good day for remembering.....

mxtodis123 said...

We must never forget. Thank you.
Mary

Donna said...

Awwwww...this sent chills up my arms!
hughugs

HappyK said...

We always remember what we were doing at times like this no matter how many years pass.
The remembrance gave me chills too.

Love Of Quilts said...

Thanks for the reminder of this day. It was a sad day in history.

Southhamsdarling said...

I've just been watching about Pearl Harbour on the news over here in England. All the ships destroyed and I think they said 2,000 people killed. Quite frightening really. Because of the age of the ones that survived, it said that the Veterans Society will wind up at the end of this year. I hope you don't mind me following you. We were in contact before, but you changed how you ran your blog, and I didn't seem to pick up your posts anymore. It looks as if this is a new blog that you have started. I love the header photo! Hope you are well.

amelia said...

I left a comment here this morning!I wonder where it went?

bj said...

I don't have memories of the day itself..but the years following.