Tuesday, January 17, 2012

♡COLD beginning... New appliance coming... Letters...


Brrrrrrrrrr....  Interesting way to start the day!!!  Not!!!
Woke up, got up, came down stairs.  Knew something was *wrong* because no warmth enveloped me, coming down the stairs.
Looked at furnace settings and....  No little numbers showed.  And no real heat was coming from pipes.  Got "Uncle A." up, much earlier than usual.  Made him a cup of coffee and had it ready for him, when he came down.  Sure enough...  No little numbers showing, on the settings box.


He got the bunch of batteries which he's gotten (Hooray for forward thinking!!!), and replaced the 2 batteries in the furnace setting, and VOILA!  On came the heat!!!!!!!!!!!   Wheeeewwwwww...
He also turned on the 2 wall units, (which give A/C or Heat) and they did a lovely job of taking the chill off, until the furnace caught up with it.  Success!!!  But what a way to begin the day!!!  lol...


The barometer is falling...
The city trucks are plowing and laying sand on streets.
Ugh...................


(Grrrrrr...  For some reason, this pic will not, not, not post...
cropped and lightened.  Grrrr...  But can't fiddle with it, any longer)

Above is a *Before* pic, of refrigerator.  Today all the pics, stickers, magnets will be removed.  Tomorrow, comes the new refrigerator.  Needed for years, but I finally decided we should replace it.  Comes the time when money-saved, is not balancing out.

I don't intend to have all that stuff, on new frig.  Only the calendar...

 See that *bee* sticker, on the lower part?  That was from Drew in Dublin Ireland.  Years ago, when I was on international mailing lists...  Some of us started a "traveling box."  Each person added something to it, and sent it on.  But!  Like so many lovely plans...  This one eventually fizzled...  When people began to NOT send it on, in a timely manner.  And it eventually went missing...  I guess....  -sigh-

I did get my sticker from Drew.  I did add my stuff and send it on.  I learned, to never join in something like that again.  It is so much fun.  UNTIL someone *stops playing* correctly.  -Bahhh-humbug-

Ohhhhhhhh, a quote like the one below, makes me want to write letters again.  :-)
But from my experience, people don't write *real* letters any more.  They don't write words, which open up their lives, to us.  They only write "about the weather"...  Or about "how the flowers are growing"...  Or even, just pretty platitudes.  -sigh-
And I suppose it's only logical.  In days gone by, personal letters were the only means of letting distant friends, into-their-lives.  No telephone or Internet or etc.  No blogs, which can share our lives, with millions, with the click of a keyboard.  
Nope, just private letters.  
So our generation won't leave troves of letters behind.  Like generations past...  To be compiled into books, and to give intimate glimpses of days gone by.  
-sigh-
And more's the pity........  Well, to me anyway...

"The act of putting pen to paper encourages pause for thought,
this in turn makes us think more deeply about life, 
which helps us regain our equilibrium."
~N. Platt
.
.

12 comments:

Vee said...

The personal stuff is interesting if it's from family members. I've been highly intrigued by the "pouring out" in family letters. However, what I really enjoy are the glimpses into what life was like such as walking downtown to pay the Sears bill in the rain because the great-great-grandmother had waited until the last possible day or the selection of a new velvet hat with a pheasant feather. That stuff is fascinating!

Oh yeah for a new appliance. Even though I have a new stove and you'll be receiving a new refrigerator, perhaps we can compare notes about them. I, for example, am highly displeased that the settings on my burners goes to the highest position first. It just doesn't seem logical!

Vee said...

Oh, and yes, that was a scary way to start the morning. So glad that it was easily remedied.

Unknown said...

Love your post. I loved receiving letters, back in the day...even looked forward to them...emails are all that comes nowadays. Most of the greatest things are lost in this high-tech world! Hugs

Vickie said...

Are you warm yet, Auntie? Hope so! I turned on our AC yesterday afternoon and it is still on this morning. However, THEY say a cold front is coming and will be by lunch time so it'll be chilly in my house when I get home from work! Sounds like you're expecting snow!

I had a pen pal one time when I was young. I really enjoyed writing letters and it was fun to anxiously wait for the postman to see if a letter came back to me! I couldn't get that envelope open soon enough! Our kids are missing out on that for sure.

I said wouldn't put anything on my new fridge either, but it happens. And it's gonna happen at YOUR house, too, when little Gabe brings you a little something that he drew or colored or found that he wants you to have. You wait and see!

Marigold said...

I am sad because I don't even have one refrigerator in the barn. The Goatmother has a picture of angels on hers, drawn by her two little Godchildren. Vickie is right. Snicker. That cute little Gabe will find something you simply must have. :) The Goatmother had a whole passel of pen pals when young, and often wonders what they are doing today. Me, I find it difficult to hold a pen with hooves. Much easier to type. :)

penny said...

Its always such a joy to read your blog. Sorry you were left in the cold this morning.
I wish you warmth and sunshine the rest of your day.
:)

The Old Parsonage said...

We came home to no heat yesterday and now I'm taking a vacation day while a new heating system is installed. Big heavy sigh! And it's really cold in here, I've got on soo many layers and no hot water for showers either!

Glad yours was a semi-easy fix.

Enjoy the new fridge!

Leann

Barb said...

Hi Auntie!

Brrrr! I'm so glad that your heat is working again! I don't work very good without heat!

A new fridge! I just love new appliances - but always seem to miss my old ones a bit. Just yesterday I took off all of the stickers and magnets from my fridge - so I could get ready for new cupboards, almost a sad thing for me to see my bare naked fridge this morning!!

I have a cookbook that I love, and it mostly talks about how sad it is that people don't write letters anymore. So much information was passed from place to place in letters . . . that is a part of our lives that are just going to be put aside . . . if we don't do something about it. I've thought about finding some pretty stationary and writing letters to some of my long lost friends, I wonder what they would think?

Thank you for your sweet thoughts on my blog. Joy is something that we need to find within ourselves. We are responsible for our own happiness, and for spreading it to those we come in contact with! You make me happy! Thanks for spreading the joy!

Hugs,
Barb

MadSnapper n Beau said...

so happy it was only batteries and not something BIG and EXPENSIVE...

HappyK said...

Thank goodness that was all it was so you could have heat again.
I can't put anything on the front of my refrigerator because it is stainless steel.
It is too bad about the letters but future generations will just have to read our blogs. : )

Carole Burant said...

Oh dear, it's a good thing it was just needing the batteries replaced for the heat to come on again! At this time of year, we need our heat!!! It's so cold here right now the house is actually cracking! You can hear "crackkk" in the attic...it does that every winter when it gets really frigid. There's also a major snowstorm going on out there, it started right after lunch and it's supposed to continue into the night so I dread what we're going to wake up to tomorrow morning.

I agree, it truly is a shame that handwritten letters are something of the past now. I use to have over 60 penpals from all over the world and I loved writing long letters by hand but eventually everyone started turning to the computer and emails. It's a lost art indeed!!

Love your Valentine decorated mantle, just beautiful!! xoxo

mxtodis123 said...

Ah, it was my work computer. The comment box doesn't disappear here on my home computer. Glad you got your boiler fixed. It's much to cold for it to go now. Was watching the news about some people in a building up in the Bronx, having no heat for a week. I feel for them.
Mary