Tuesday, January 3, 2012

♡Old...Very old...And still beautiful... :-)

 
~-~-~-~-~
~-~-~-~
I explain the photos, at the bottom of this post.
(Pic 1)

My gracious but it is funny, to hear people say such nice things, about where we live and etc!!!  I think most of us feel that our life is *dull-as-dishwater,* don't we?  And that's why new bloggers, sometimes wonder WHAT will they write about????  ......  But even though most of our lives are quiet.  They are still INDIVIDUAL lives.  Our lives.  Same-but-different-from-every-one-else's.  Therefore, interesting to others.  Therefore ~~  Pretty Blog Land thrives!  :-) 
 ~
Yes, we are lucky to live in a beautiful small city, which cherishes its Victorian History.  And yes, there are interesting places to walk, in my city.

(Pic 2)

But...
Typically...
We don't make use of them...
Not as often as we should!!!
~

 (Pic 3)

But you know, I hope that's beginning to change!!!!!  I'm thinking of different places in our city, to which we can drive (just a bit) and get out and walk.  Why have we not been doing this, for years?!?!?   Silly isn't it, what we tend to over-look or not appreciate, what is right in "our own back yard," so to speak?

(4)

Let's none of us do that, anymore!!!!!!!!!  Let's take off our *ho-humm-I've-lived-here-for-years-and-it's-all-'old-hat'-now* glasses.  Let's wake up and look around, and notice what we have been taking for granted, maybe.   Think of an area, not far from where we live, to which we can go, and take a walk and enjoy, etc.
~
Thank you Dear Readers, for kind of waking me up to this idea....    For saying sweet things, in comments...  And making me view my surroundings, with more clarity.  And more appreciation.  Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


 (5)

I took these pictures, in our old, family, corner Drug Store.  It opened in 1860.  The druggist was part of the local militia,  who went to fight in the Civil War.  He turned the key in the door, went to war, came back and opened the door again, and it's been operating, ever since.
~
"Uncle A." ran it for years and years and years.  Through both BAD and good times.   Our son runs it now.  He had to join with another pharmacy (from out of town), and switch to only compounding.  Otherwise, he would have had to close the door.   Because of the way Insurance Companies and Government do not pay, in a timely manner.  But the drug store has to pay-in-advance, for supplies.  It all catches up eventually, and so many small, pharmacist-owner-run pharmacies, have closed.  -sigh-
~
But ours still goes on....  And "Uncle A." still works a few hours a week.  And he keeps his additional education going, to keep his license active.  It's mighty handy for our son to have him available, in times when our son *HAS* to leave the store, for some reason, toooooo.  (Family emergency, doc appointments, etc.)  He just calls his Dad, and can leave, on a very short notice.
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Description of the Photos
~-~-~-~-~

Picture (1)...
Parts of the original old soda fountain. These beautiful, old, carved wood pieces were "lost" for years.  'Till someone (an old friend) found them, stored in a barn attic of his family home.  Told us, and let us come take them back.  ~~~~  And then "Uncle A." put in many hours, of his spare time, fully restoring and refinishing them.
~
Picture (2)...
A real, very old "weigh-yourself-for-a-penny" scale.  (And notice the very old tile floor)  ~~~  But note, to the left of the picture, a bit shows of the new white compounding Lab.  Yes, they were blue booties, and hair covering and clothing!  -giggles-  They look kinda' weird, but It's The Law.
~
Picture (3)...
One of the old photographs of inside the drug store, years ago.  We have kept the same dark woodwork.  The same old, old tile floor (see Pic (2), the same tin ceiling....  Apologies for the light fixture reflections, in it.
~
Picture (4)...
Another view of old, restored wood of the original soda fountain.
~
Picture (5)...
On the other side of the store, another old restored wood counter.  This time, with marble top. 
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

And before anyone asks ~  NO, sadly we no longer have an active Soda Fountain.  When we bought the store (years ago), it had a *50's sort of* Soda Fountain.  But we could not afford to keep it, after a while.  My husband was supporting a growing family, from that store.  He could not continue to run (Soda Fountain) at a loss, just for the sentimentality.  -Sigh-  He needed the space it was taking up, to sell other products, to stay in business.  Sad.  But necessary.  We all well remember, when it had to be taken out.
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is 
than to persist in delusion, 
however satisfying and reassuring."
- Carl Sagan (1934-1996)

~-~-~-~-~
~-~-~-~

23 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

Oh my gosh....a soda fountain!! Isn't life grand? To be able to go back in time with today's time and learn to appreciate the life before today. And my dear...your blogging and blogging style is so much perfection, you are inspirational.

Thanks for stopping by.

mxtodis123 said...

I think that is pretty much true for all of us wherever we live. We don't take the time to appreciate what we have surrounding us...even here in New York City. People come from all over the world to visit the Statue of Liberty yet, the closest I've gotten is a view from the 'F' train on my way home. The same with the Empire State Building. Oh, what history it has, yet I have never entered it...and I've lived here nearly 40 years.
Mary

Pellie / Penny said...

What a beautiful place to be able to work. I love all the wood and it looks like Uncle A did a wonderful job of refinishing the woods and then keeping them looking good.
Sure looks better than all the laminated press board and plastic used today.
Thank you so much for sharing those wonderful pictures with us.

Hugs,
Penny

Donna said...

Oh!! This is wonderful Auntie!
I can imagine what the walls could say if they could talk!
Love the background and header!!!
Have a wonderful day exploring that old town of yours...how I'd Love it!
hughugs

penny said...

Your shop takes me back to my youth and my favorite soda fountain. Its sad that you had to give it up.. hard times call for heartbreaking decisions.
Lovely post.. thanks for sharing your special place.
~:)

Anonymous said...

This is so wonderful that your son is continuing on with the family tradition. I think my favorite line was "he turned the key....fought the war....came back, re-opened and has been ever since!"

Anonymous said...

Oh....I almost forgot to comment....your blog looks wonderful!

Vee said...

What a wonderful store and a great family heritage. Did you ever work in the store during Uncle's daily working there? I think how delightful that might've been. (I didn't work in anything this historical, though I worked in a small town store and loved it. Loved seeing the regulars and getting to know the people who lived in my hometown. I've not known anybody since.) What a work of love to restore the beautiful rich wood. Uncle is very talented.

Yes, I think we often overlook the history of our own communities. Perhaps we all need to take another look and have our own party based on local interest. Oh, guess not, Blogdom doesn't need one more party.

Unknown said...

Love this beautiful blog picture...there is no snow where I live only cold NW winds this AM. but, whose complaining? Thank you for this photo walk/tour of your business. The different wood pieces are beautiful...I would love to see them up close and personal...nostalgia abounds! Thank you for visiting and your lovely comments...they mean so much! We really do have to watch those eating habits, right? Hope you and your famly have a prosperous 2012! Take Care!
All The Best,
Loretta

Vickie said...

And WHY, may I ask, have you not shown us these beauties before??? I'm perturbed - you've been hiding this beautiful old-time drug store and keeping it all to yourself. ha!

I absolutely LOVe old places like this. Look how elegant and lovely the wood is, and how wonderfully Uncle A restored it! I love that scale - I've never seen one like that before! All our soda fountains are gone from around here, too, Auntie. I used to eat lunch at Goode's Pharmacy soda fountain while in college nearly every day. It was the last one here, and it's gone now, too.

Thanks for sharing this family business - so great to see it! I'm glad it's still in the family and Uncle A is still a part!

Thanks for your comments on my silly post, too - I don't know if anyone is going to guess me or not! May have to start giving out some hints!

Marigold said...

How wonderful! Ah, cherry cokes at the soda fountain. :) You are right. We do tend to take our surroundings for granted. And that looks like a very awesome line of skin care products as well! Thank you for sharing part of your life with us.

Carole Burant said...

Happy New Year to you and yours, dear Auntie! Christmas has finally been put away and I now have more time to concentrate on my blogging. I'm looking forward to some quiet days ahead:-)

I've just read all of your recent posts and it sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas with your family:-) I loved reading of your tradition of having Fish Chowder and French bread on Christmas Eve, that sounds so delicious!!

I also love this post! I've always enjoyed visiting old drugstores that still keep up with the vintage look and I think it's so awesome that your family owns this one!! Yes, isn't it funny how we don't see "what's in our own backyard" when it comes to our own town/city.

I'm looking forward to another year of your delightful friendship:-) xoxo

Southhamsdarling said...

I truly loved this post, and what splendid photos for us to look at today. Love the story about the Drug Store (we call them Chemists over here!). What you said is SO true, about taking for granted the places where we live. So! May 2012 be the year that we really look around and cherish the places where we live, and look for that something, just a little bit out of the ordinary. You ARE good to us, and SO wise!! Don't I just keep saying that?!

HappyK said...

I think many of us don't realize how much there is to see and do right in our own neighborhoods. I think how many people have never even walked around my lake! : )

I just love your store and think it is so cool - all of it!!!
Thanks so much for sharing the photos and telling us about it!!

amelia said...

How very interesting!! So much to see where you live and the Drug Store is amazing! What history and your family is part of it!

Love Of Quilts said...

I would say you have a big part in this beautiful small city of your...running the drug store saving all the old wood and redoing it.It is so nice to see all the photos...our old drug store is still open it doesn't have the beautiful wood. I don't know if it ever had a soda fountain in it. Blessing Trish

Love Of Quilts said...

I like the header to!

The Old Parsonage said...

Ok why were you hoarding this story?!! I LOVE the history, photos and story.

It looks like a wonderful place to just come in and browse around (although that's not what you need it to be).

Thanks for your comments about the kitchen. It's next on my list to photograph for my Around The Old Parsonage.

BTW - Saw Red Riding Hood last week. It was pretty good. Not really a great on my list, but I'd watch it again.

Leann

Mrs. Micawber said...

What gorgeous woodwork! I'm glad the pharmacy was able to keep going - compounding can be very rewarding if only the doctors will think outside the box and write the appropriate scripts!

Our small-town pharmacy is still going too, but who knows for how long? It's a very tough business.

Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos!

bj said...

What a beautiful place. Thanks so much for sharing this part of your life.

Ruth said...

That is a GOR GEOUS drug store, and wonderful to have it in the family. I am one who spent many quarters at our soda fountain all through junior high and high school: vanilla phosphates. How many did I drink, I wonder? (And tuna fish sandwiches.)

This also brings to mind the conversation we just had with our son-in-law, who is from Texas, about the origins of Dr. Pepper, which he loves. His dad mailed him two six packs for Christmas, from the original locale in TX, made with cane sugar, not corn syrup. The original DP was invented by a druggist trying to woo a young woman, whose father was Dr. Pepper. It didn't work, apparently. And did it start with sarsaparilla?

Happy@Home said...

Hi Auntie,
Thank you for your recent comment regarding my furnace problem. I'm pleased to say that the repairman showed up yesterday and was able to get it fixed. Hooray for warmth in the winter :).
One of my favorite things about blogging is getting to see what it looks like where other people live. To a certain extent it has also made me look at my own area in a new light. However, there are many places that I should still visit.
So glad you shared your drug store with us. It is beautiful with all of the lovely wood work. The history behind it is so interesting too.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

had to laugh at the last comment because i was ready to ask that question. a very beautiful old drug store. and i do remember when they looked like this and did have the soda fountain. you are right, everything not in our life is interesting to us. i mean how many of us have access to a store like this. and we all have things that others dont and that is the reason i love blogging. armchair traveling