Sunday, December 16, 2012

For what purpose...?

ADDITION:
All I want is for each of us,
to make our own thought-out and reasoned choice.
................................
................................

I was notified of a message, which is passing around Blogdom...  Which goes something like the following;

"My understanding is that blog world is going silent on Tuesday and everyone is posting this graphic." 

-sigh-  I am sure this is being done, in a well-meaning way.  But......

What possible good, will such a Silent Blog Day do???

Certainly it won't do any good, for the survivors.  

And how much good, will it do we bloggers?

We blog because it gives us Joy.  If we turn off that Joy of Blogging on Tues., it will make us sad.  It will mire us again, in the total horror.  We will thus, be depressed.  Our depression will wash off onto our personal lives.  It will spoil some of our family's (acquaintance's, spouse's, etc.) Christmas Joy.  

How is that going to do any, any, any good for anyone??????

As I said, this movement is certainly well meaning.  

But before you join in, please consider my words....

Please...

And then, make your own thought-out and reasoned choice. 

About going Silent on Tuesday.



14 comments:

HappyK said...

I haven't seen that yet around blogland, but I agree with you and I'll still be posting.

I guess we all deal with things in a different way and if that makes them feel better then that's what they need to do.

mxtodis123 said...

I haven't seen it in blogland either.
Mary

Vee said...

I just came here directly from a blog posting that message. I'm quite a lot closer to your sentiment than that one. I'm thinking it over. It does have an address for making donations to Newtown, which would seem a good thing to do.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

have yet to see any such thing??!? after watching so much sadness on the news about the shootings i would like to have the chance to go some where i can get away a bit & feel sort of happy. not forgot the loss but feel a bit of a escape for the moment. that is all. hope that makes sense.

Beth keep silent that will NEVER happen. ha. ha!! yeah, right???!! ( :

Aine O'Brien said...

While I think it's ok to ask people to join in this quiet day of observation, I also believe that we can decide to pay respects in our own way if we want. So, I see no need to go silent if you would rather observe some other way. No big deal

Chatty Crone said...

I had a hard time loading your blog today.

I have not heard of Tuesday's silence. I am not sure what to do.

Right now - I am just praying for the families who have lost someone and the first responders.

Love, sandie

Ellen in Oregon said...

Whenever I have lost someone close to me I try to honor their memory by doing the activities in life that that person loved the most. If those 26 people were still here I think that they would be decorating their trees, baking cookies, spending time with loved ones, going skating or building a snowman. I find it helpful to try & continue doing all the wonderful things life has to offer. These activities are made all the more precious because the loss of those 26 lives reminds me how easily these joyful thngs can be taken away. Everyone does grieve differently, but when I am no longer here on Earth I would want to think that those I left behind would continue to do all the things that brought me joy when I was alive. Carrying on with all that life has to offer does not mean that I do not morn the loss, but rather I celebrate their lives by engaging in all the beautiful things life has to offer.
Silencing the blogs clearly has good intent. I think it might be more effective to ask all bloggers & their readers to do a kind act for someone in need, take some cookies and visit a shut-in, ask someone who has no family to spend Christmas dinner with your family. These kindnesses may not change the World, but you will feel better about yourself and make someone else feel cared about. Just a thought.

Linda said...

I have never met 'Ellen in Oregon' but I LOVE what she said!! I am off to visit her blog now!

Linda said...

Oops! Guess she doesn't have one but I am so impressed with what she wrote.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I like what Ellen in Oregon said!

Deb said...

I plan on blogging as usual I think living life is the best way for the families to get the comfort they need to go on

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

ELLEN in OREGON... Thank you for your insightful comment.

You should have a blog, you know. :-) Pretty Blog Land needs more of your wisdom.

Please, consider it?

And please, let me know, if you decide to Join In The Fun. :-)

Gentle hugs,
"Auntie"

bj said...

ToEllen...thank you for your insight...I am posting part of your comment, IF Auntie will share..:))
I hope your Christmas is BRIGHT...
xo bj

Dee said...

I agree with Ellen also...I will post if something does not come up to prevent it...but I respect the others if they do not...we have to follow our own heart. The first funerals where today... one day will not ease the sorrows of this week.