♥
For you many "Downton Abbey" fans... I thought you might like a link, to a book blog, which I follow. The Jan. 29 post is titled "Guest Blogger: Charles Todd on the Drinks of Downton Abbey."...
♥
Looking through old 'Victoria' magazines, I came upon a excerpt from a memoir... "A Joyful Noise" by Janet Gillespie. The excerpt made me want to see the book. So I have it on reserve, at my library.
Some, from a review:
"A stylish and witty recounting of childhood summers in New England in the 1920s, by one of five children in a loving family -- which seemed to possess the wicked knack of enjoying, and exploiting, one another's landmark idiosyncrasies. There was grandmother Baba, erect and small, bellowing messages from porch to boathouse via a megaphone; Mother and siblings, at work on.........."
Sounds like-a-bit-of-fun... Perhaps not to be read cover to cover. But to be read, here and there, as one picks it up...
♥
Also in this old 'Victoria' magazine, was the article "On Keeping a Journal," by Phyllis Theroux.
"Every morning just before dawn, I rise, make myself a cup of coffee, and sit quietly in a wing chair in the living room for about an hour. Waking early without effort is one of the genuine pleasures of getting older. Life has fewer days in it, but nature compensates by allowing you to greet them sooner."
Sweet essay... Makes me want to read more of what this woman has written... And yet again, makes me wish I could Journal. By pen and paper that is. Certainly this blog, is a form of a daily entry in a Journal of sorts. But, typing is not writing..... -sigh-
Looking through old 'Victoria' magazines, I came upon a excerpt from a memoir... "A Joyful Noise" by Janet Gillespie. The excerpt made me want to see the book. So I have it on reserve, at my library.
Some, from a review:
"A stylish and witty recounting of childhood summers in New England in the 1920s, by one of five children in a loving family -- which seemed to possess the wicked knack of enjoying, and exploiting, one another's landmark idiosyncrasies. There was grandmother Baba, erect and small, bellowing messages from porch to boathouse via a megaphone; Mother and siblings, at work on.........."
Sounds like-a-bit-of-fun... Perhaps not to be read cover to cover. But to be read, here and there, as one picks it up...
♥
Also in this old 'Victoria' magazine, was the article "On Keeping a Journal," by Phyllis Theroux.
"Every morning just before dawn, I rise, make myself a cup of coffee, and sit quietly in a wing chair in the living room for about an hour. Waking early without effort is one of the genuine pleasures of getting older. Life has fewer days in it, but nature compensates by allowing you to greet them sooner."
Sweet essay... Makes me want to read more of what this woman has written... And yet again, makes me wish I could Journal. By pen and paper that is. Certainly this blog, is a form of a daily entry in a Journal of sorts. But, typing is not writing..... -sigh-
♥
Another page in my 'Victoria' magazine from Jan. 1994, is the above. About a Children's book, "Emily" by Michael Bedard.
Synopsis:
"A young girl who lives across the street from the reclusive Emily
Dickinson gets her chance to meet the poet when her mother is invited to
play the piano for Emily. The girl sneaks up to Emily's room and
exchanges a small gift for an authentic poem, which is included in the
book."
♥
Btw, these photos I took, of pages in the old magazine, make it look very, very yellowed and ancient. ;-) It's not quite that ancient. But the light I used, is one in the Den, beside my computer table. It has an ivory tinted shade on it, and I think this adds toooooooooo much 'yellow' to my photos. Just saying.
♥
♥
Also 'just saying,' it's quite obvious that my own inner 'muse' has flown. All I can come up with, to post about today, are the topics here. We shall see when my muse will return... :-)
♥
"Photography........... takes a minute and makes it an eternity."
~Isaac B. Singer
♥





10 comments:
Blogging is modern day journaling...
i call my muse my mojo.. i lose it for a while then it comes back. but i find that when i do not like a post and feel like i lost my mojo, sometimes it is one of the most popular.. i did not know Downtown Abbey is about ME... I am always right!!!
I too have lost my mojo but it comes back, it always does, I love d this post, I LOVE Dowton Abby!!
Typing most definitely is writing, my dear!
Oh you have piqued my interest and how odd that we both were dipping into the back issues of favorite magazines yesterday! (My post is coming up either tomorrow or the next day.) Yes, some of us have been hanging out together for a long time.
Still have yet to watch downtown abby. And yeah typing away is writing on display. My mojo has never, knock on wood, been lost at my bay!
Oh I don't know, Auntie... your heart is right there showing us these passages - so in a way, it's YOU coming through and writing to us today! See there?
Now I'm going back to read that first one - I like the way she writes - oops, rather - YOU write! :)
Victoria is one of my FAVORITE magazines! That and Country Living. I do not subscribe to either any more but I DO have a truck of old back issues at home. I hope to remember to pick some out to browse through when I go back home.
I believe you DO journal, my dear!
I've kept a journal since my secret diary with key in grade school. Not daily anymore but weekly at the very least. So does Flyboy:)
xo
I have kept journals for years and have filled quite a few notebooks. Stopped when I started blogging because my blog is my journal.
One day I'll shred them all up. I've almost done it a few times but haven't gotten around to it.
I enjoy written words...writers are like artists....who paint ...only they use words. Your blog is a journal. When people ask me what a blog is I tell them it is on line journal and they seem to comprehend. I enjoy the older copies of magazines. Since I have been car-less in the daytime, blogging is getting more challenging. But I am having fun with it. I have next week to go and maybe a little after that till I get my car back.My grandson gets paid once a month. His van needs some major repair. :(
Post a Comment