Friday, February 15, 2013

Do you love "commas"?


-sigh-  I tried painting a new Background.  But I am not happy with it.  Harrrrumph...  So I won't know what Background is on here, till I Publish this post, I guess.   ~~~~~~~~~~~    Meaning, perhaps I'll put up my very childish flowers...  And perhaps I won't...

 I think I need to take a lot more time, with trying to do a water color, for Background.  Not a rush job.  But I was trying to paint and take a pic, while the sun was still streaming in the Hearth Room window.  So I could get a photo, of it.  NOT  the way to do it.

  Oh well, perhaps I'll just leave my blog look, a simple WHITE one, for a bit...  Maybe...  Maybe...  Or just grab a Net pic, which I have already made into a Background.   -sigh-   ~~~~~~~~~~~      I liked the Valentine one, I did.  It was very primitive, but I still liked it.   Wonder how long it will be, before I REALLY LIKE another one...?  -pout-

Do you Dear Reader, notice how many "commas" I use, in my writing?  (See? 2 commas in those preceding 13 words!)   I LOVE  commas!  I like to break up my words, into little "this-is-about-this-and-that-is-about that" sections.  Not the proper way to sayyyyyyy it, I'm sure.  HELP!  A Dear Reader who is a teacher of English, please tell me the proper wording....

And since you are an Expert, what is your take on frequent use of commas??????????  Please and thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~


"Go to the winter woods: listen there, look, watch, 
and the dead months will give you
a subtler secret than any you have yet found in the forest."
~Fiona Macleod, Where the Forest Murmurs

~~~~~~~~~~~

Pictures--What's in them?!?
1.)  Sandwich on a plate
2.) Close-up of the grid on the sandwich
3.) Shadows on refrig.
4.) Shadows on kitchen cabinet
5.) Shadows in den

~~~~~~~~~~~

17 comments:

Deb said...

I use .... To break up my words... I have to remember not to do it in my business letters... It's a real habit... Probably drives English majors nuts... Love your photos Auntie

MadSnapper n Beau said...

i really like the shadows on the cabinets, especially the knobs you included. really artsy. as for commas, i can live with them or without them and only use them to bracket a word sometimes.

Anonymous said...

I am also a comma user, probably inappropriately at times but I feel they express the pause and break in my sentences, and if the English Major police come after you we will both be in the grammar jail together!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I never know how to utilize commas to be honest. I always wonder if I'm using them incorrectly, too frequently, too infrequently, etc.

p.s. what in the name of goodness is on that plate in the first picture? It looks delicious!!

Mrs. Micawber said...

I think the word you're searching for may be "clause". :)

I, too, love commas - and dashes - and every so often I like to throw in an ellipsis...which involves three dots between clauses and four dots at the end of a sentence that just sort of trails off, leaving you to ponder what came before and what might come next....

(Oh, and parentheses. I LOVE inserting parenthetical remarks.)

Balance is the key, I think. TOO many commas, etc., can be visually and reading-ly annoying. But too few, and you get a breathless sort of run-on feeling as you read.

I could go on and on ... the ideas just keep flowing. But it occurs to me that they might make a good post, so with your leave I'll continue the conversation over at my place. :D

Thanks for a post-provoking post!

bj said...

Great post....
I like your white background...sure shows off your great photos..

Donna said...

LOVE your header shot! That wallpaper is gorgeous Auntie!
I like commas! :o)
hughugs

JFM said...

Such a fun and pretty post today, Auntie...and all of your pics are downloading so that I can see them today, yea!!!

I love commas on some days, and I totally ignore them on other days :) I guess I get lazy and that extra key stroke just isn't going to happen :)

You always such beautiful and interesting photos, and there is nothing wrong with a plain white background...go for it!

Hugs,
Jan

Vee said...

I was taught, when in doubt to "toss it out." In reality, I'm more likely to toss one in where commas are in question. I think they help to clarify. If they cloud, I try to lose them.

It wouldn't be much fun to do anything if you're on a rushed time frame, would it? It's not only about the product, it's about the process. Have fun! Take your time.

Pat Hatt said...

I use commas way more than I should when just writing comments an blog posts, no one has complained, wouldn't bother me if they did haha

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I use both commas and ellipsis a lot. Probably drives the English teachers nuts. :) Oh well. My grammar ain't what it used to be.

I love a white background, but I'm sure you'll come up with something delightful! Keep painting and experimenting!

Susie said...

Auntie, I use commas, and lots of periods.....and many questions marks ???? My gosh , I sure do not want to be graded by my blog mistakes. I misspell too often. I make typos. I know there are English teachers out there, just cringing. LOL.Sorry teacher. Enjoy your weekend .xoxo,Susie

The Old Parsonage said...

I'm a dash girl myself - if I'm in doubt of comma use:)

LOVE your wallpaper!

Enjoy your weekend!
Leann

mxtodis123 said...

I love using commas in my writings. I also use a few dots....to break things up.
Mary

HappyK said...

I like to use commas also though I'm sure I don't use them properly!

Dee said...

I just take a handful of comma's, dot's and dash's and throw them on my blog. Some land in the right spot.....and some do not. LOL I almost did not recognize your blog all in white....:-/ I do enjoy your photo's of shadows...you make them look like art.

Linda said...

I tend to use exclamation marks!!!!
A LOT!!! I also use .......!
AND some ---- at times!
I used to know all the rules back when I was teaching home school. I have learned to disregard them at will now! I can write 'correctly' but it's not nearly as much fun!